Painting plastic

Old 10-18-04, 09:31 PM
cpt_spac
Visiting Guest
Painting plastic

I have an old plastic snowmobile hood i want to repaint. Does anyone know how you would go about painting this or what supplies i might need?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-04, 10:16 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
That would be an autobody question. Since I used to do that too. You would wipe down with wax and grease remover ( or clean it well-orange cleaner,paint thinner) sand it with an orbital sander 220g, hand sand with 320g. prime it (I believe they make special flexible clear primer for plastic-ask @ body shop supply) then paint it with auto body paints (base coat-clear coat). El cheapo would be to use spray cans from wally world (including spray grey primer). You need a spray gun for applying the super expensive auto systems. P.s. sand the grey primer (320g) prior to paint. Both will work spray enamel may crack on flexing and would be "soft" so if a hotter solvent based paint is applied over it (later) it will be like putting paint stripper on it.

Old 10-19-04, 06:50 PM
Just to add to what jeffk said, after you sand anything, always wipe it down with a tack cloth to remove all the dust. Dust is a big adhesion killer.

Old 10-19-04, 07:26 PM
J
Since this has already been painted I think I would treat it as any other painted surface. Clean it,sand it, tack it, and paint it. I think I would go with Dupli-color in the spray can[I like the spray tip it has]. It is essentually car paint and very good stuff. I don't see that it being plastic has to affect anything since you said you want to "repaint it". It was probably painted with something similar to begin with.BTW there is a paint for plastic in a spray can and i believe it needs no primer, but I think I would stick with the Dupli-color since you are repainting.