cherrywood paneling

Old 10-22-04, 09:45 PM
x2exercise
Visiting Guest
Smile cherrywood paneling

Hi, I have cherrywood paneling in my livingroom, its a smooth paneling, can anyone tell me what i need to do to paint it.
Also I have a black trim on the top near the ceiling which is plastic, "suppose to look like wood" I don't want to remove it because I have a popcorn ceiling and afraid I will have a space, so could you tell me how i should paint that also.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-04, 08:36 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wash it down thoroughly with TSP to remove all the oils, waxes, cleaning products, etc. Sand it with 120 grit sandpaper for adhesion. Remove all the dust (vac, tack cloth, swiffter, etc.). Prime it with a penetrating alkyd/oil primer. Some would suggest a latex primer, which very well might work. But I'm from the old school, and prefer to use something that will penetrate and dry fairly hard. After its primed, caulk all the joints of the paneling, and up at the top where the trim meets it. Or any other spot that will provide a seamless surface. Then top coat it with ant latex product you desire, 2 coats for durability and even sheen level.