Texturing over drywall

Old 10-25-04, 03:06 PM
MatthewNadeau
Visiting Guest
Texturing over drywall

I am getting ready to finish off the inside of my garage, and I want to make sure that I don't skip a step. My garage already has drywall with a pretty good tape job. I'm planning on patching any holes or dents, sanding it down, and then texturing it using a texture basket (i.e. sprayed using a compressor) followed by a coat of paint. My question is: will I need to put a primer coat of paint on before the texture to avoid having the dry wall show through the paint?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-04, 07:21 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I use a hopper gun to shoot thinned sheet rock mud on and then after a little dry time a broad knife to knock it down or with higher air pressure and or thinner mud "orange peel" (which is not flattened with the knife). Let that dry (a fan in the room helps a lot), then prime and paint. P.s.- the tape job probably needs another finish coat before sanding as most garages are 1 coated and not ready for paint.

Old 10-25-04, 07:27 PM
MatthewNadeau
Visiting Guest
Is the primer step necessary?

Old 10-26-04, 12:00 AM
J
Primer will seal the surface against water penetration better as when in the future someone decides to put wallpaper over the paint and uses a steamer to remove it. It also grips the wall surface better as this is its designed purpose. It makes for a more even appearance as paint will be sucked into the pourous sheetrock mud differently than the wall board leaving dull/shiny areas depending on what's the substrate. You only get 1 opportunity to prime when it's new and this is it. You will almost be gauranteed to need at least 2 coats so why not use primer as the first. I like Zinnzer 123 to give a white (or tinted) base coat but PVA (polyvinylacetate) is standard. I have rolled semigloss on over texture and new sheet rock and had it look o.k. in 1 coat but I would highly recommend the primer for the above reasons as you stated "I don't want to miss a step"

Old 10-26-04, 10:31 AM
A
I think he's asking should he prime before applying texture. I would say no since you have to prime after texture anyhow but I'm not sure.

In areas that you have to use a brush, go real easy because I noticed that in my case the texture would come off with anything more than a light pass with the brush (orange peel). As Jeff says 2 coats of primer may be a good idea in a garage which may exposed to damp conditions.