cabinet painting and metal fence

Old 10-25-04, 05:58 PM
TxAv8tor
Visiting Guest
cabinet painting and metal fence

I know..how can one possibly have such varying quesitons for one post. So here goes. Fist regarding painting cabinets. My in-laws have a higher end custom home and the cabinets/closet built-ins are all painted white with a finish that is very smooth and looks/feels like a hard surface material...almost like a hard plastic surface rather than paint. Any guesses on how this was achieved and how I can duplicate it.

Second, I have a metal fence/gate across my driveway and entry to backyard that is pealing and some small rust spots appearing. Any suggestions on how/what to refinish this with to inhibit rust and last longer than the last (rather thin layer) paint job did?

Thanks for the great forum and advice.

TxAv8tor

Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-04, 12:16 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What are you going to duplicate it on? Touching up originals or doing other cab.s? It is probably a factory finish maybe oil base sprayed? Urethane or epoxy might have been used also. Find out from builder who made the cabinets and ask them.
The gate is a problem similar to outdoor furniture. I find with hollow tube items often times the rust is coming from the inside. Rust needs oxygen to grow, and if covered over with paint, water (with its oxygen component) or air can't supply the oxy. But if water and air can supply the rust from inside the tubing where there often isn't any protection, no matter how nicely the outside is sealed it comes back. I like the phosphate rust converters (JASCO sells-1gal./$14) sprayed through the tubing and outside on the surface. When it turns black, wash it and paint it. Peeling would be poor adhesion probably cause it wasn't cleaned thoroughly enough (when new gates are often shipped with a coating of oil to prevent rust). Sand blast, water blast, or hand sand the peeling areas, wipe with paint thinner. Prime and paint with oil based paint for metal, or use spray cans.