painting wood and metal cabinets--need advice

Old 10-26-04, 05:21 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question painting wood and metal cabinets--need advice

Hi! I just bought an older house, and in the kitchen there are these really cool cabinets. They are very retro looking, and they are in great shape (expect that they are currently painted peach with a pretty bad paint job). These real wood cabinets look like vintage metal kitchen cabinets, and I love that look. In fact, under the sink, the cabinets are metal--they match the wood ones perfectly. It was only on closer inspection that I realized some were metal and some were wood. I want to paint all the cabinets gloss white, and I'm looking to get a super smooth, hard finish. I need some advice on what products to use after I've sanded them down. The part I'm confused about is this--how do I get a matching finish on some that are wood and some that are metal? I need a paint that will produce a smooth, high gloss finish on both surfaces. Thanks so much for any help!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-04, 11:05 AM
J
Oil base gives a harder (enamel) finish better than latex. Find out what is on there first. The wood will absorb the paint more than a metal surface unless it is sealed tightly. The gloss will lessen as the paint is sucked into the surface. If the wood isn't sealed well it will need to be primed and sanded smooth (180g) with an orbital sander, or hand w/220g. Adding penetrol to oil base will help it level the brush marks. Taking the doors off so they can be layed horizontal will make getting a smooth finish easier (no runs).

Old 10-26-04, 08:05 PM
My 2

If you can see the grain on the wood, prime it with a coat or two of alkyd enamel underbody. It will help fill the grain.

Sand them smooth, remove the dust with a tack cloth.

As jeff said, oil will level better and dry pretty hard. (debatable with the new voc compliant paints, but hard nonetheless)

If you don't want oil, try Sherwin Williams Waterborne Pro-Classic, or Ben Moore's Waterborne Satin Impervo. Both level very nicely, and are a good alternative to oil.

Old 10-27-04, 05:56 PM
J
painting the cabinets

Do you suggest using a roller? If so, what type? The cabinets are flat, so it wouldn't be hard, plus I definetly don't want brush strokes. I want a very smooth finish. Thanks for the advice! jeannie

Old 10-27-04, 06:35 PM
A sprayer will obviously give a very smooth finish. I, on the other hand, rarely spray. My method is rolling the paint on with a mohair nap roller. Then I 'lay off' the paint with a brush to smooth and level it. You roll on the paint, then using a minimally loaded brush, gently drag it across the surface. Don't brush it in, just pull it lightly, exerting no downward pressure, from one side of the door panel to the other. If done correctly with the proper paint, it will give you a very slick surface.

Old 10-28-04, 08:49 AM
J
I would use a waterbase paint as PWG says, it will be a lot less toxic, and dry faster.