Painting with dark colors......

Old 10-28-04, 05:44 PM
amm419
Visiting Guest
Painting with dark colors......

I gather this question has been asked here many times, as I've heard plenty of horror stories about painting with darker colors. Hope y'all won't mind yet another......

Here's what I've got: I'm wanting to paint one wall in my living room a dark brick-red color. This is new construction so I'm painting over builder's flat white paint. The color I've selected is by Behr........however....I've also figured that Behr isn't thought of highly here .

I'd like to avoid some of the pitfalls & problems that so many people seem to encounter with these types of colors. I'd love to get some feedback on how to go about this correctly from the get-go to avoid any disasters.

I don't have a Ben Moore dealer near me, but SW is close by. Would I be better advised to go with SW over Behr, and could they do the same color? What type of finish should I get (was thinking along the lines of eggshell or satin). 3/8" inch nap roller or 1/2"........or would it matter? I'm open to any and all input since I'm starting from scratch. Thanks in advance!!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-04, 04:44 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Prime the wall first. I prefer a zinsser primer. Have it tinted grey. Others will suggest a red tint, but a medium grey seems to work best.

Yes, you are better off using SW paint, especially in a dark color. Check out their paint chips.

Satin is a good choice.

Buy quality rollers, roller sleeves, and brushes. Don't go cheap.

Keep a wet edge and do not over-brush nor over-roll (ie - don't try to stretch the coverage).

Old 10-29-04, 05:05 AM
amm419
Visiting Guest
Thanks, Bob!

This next question is likely to be a stupid one ..........but I've honestly never had to use primer before..........is zinsser a brand name or a certain type of primer?? Do primers come in oil and water bases and which one would I need?

Thanks again.........

Old 10-29-04, 05:17 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Zinsser is a brand name, '123' is a popular primer made by them. It is water-based.

Old 10-31-04, 06:13 AM
bamma
Visiting Guest
Your Walls Are Already Primed. All You Need To Do, Is Base Coat Your Wall With The Gray. I Have Been Told That Black Also Works, But I Would Tend To Follow Prowallguy's Advice. The Dark Red Paints Got A Bad Rep When They First Came Out, But They Have Improved Tremendusly Over The Last Few Years. Just Make Sure That As You Trim In Your Wall You Roll As Soon As Possible. Keeping Wet Paint Meeting Wet Paint.