Yard sale find-paint help

Old 10-31-04, 06:33 AM
rockydoo
Visiting Guest
Smile Yard sale find-paint help

I got a Daystrom tile top table & 4 chairs yesterday at a yard sale for $75. It's in real good shape. The table has a few surface type scratches, which hopefully Old English stuff will take care of, unless someone has a better idea. The chairs have some white paint peeling & I want to repaint them white. Another message board told me to come here cause this board has better solutions. She had mentioned "deglossing" before painting. I thought I could sand them or use primer. How do I do that deglossing??? I'm not the handiest person around. I will take any help I can get. TIA

Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-04, 07:10 AM
bamma
Visiting Guest
I am not familiar with Daystrom, but if someone else is suggesting that you degloss them, I am taking it for granted that they have an oil base paint on them. If this is the case, you can just sand the areas smooth,spot prime those areas with a good oil base primer and then repaint whit a good oil base paint. If it is a baked on enamel finish, I would sand it smooth, prime it with a good bonder/primer such as XIM,(all over) sand lightly again and then repaint with a durable paint of your choice. As for your scratches, if the Old English does not work, Minwax has a line of stain markers that work very well, just make sure that you get one to match.

Old 10-31-04, 07:11 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Deglossing is done by either sanding or using a chemical deglosser such as Peso Liquid Sandpaper. I'm not a big fan of the chemical types, I prefer to hand scuff with paper.

Old 10-31-04, 07:38 AM
rockydoo
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the replies. Wish me luck.....dw