"quality paint" ???

Old 11-01-04, 11:58 AM
qr409tz8
Visiting Guest
"quality paint" ???

I just painted my garage with a solid color stain and its looking pretty good, but the garage siding isnt in great shape and this is a only a beautify untill I replace the siding sort of procedure so I just used the Behr home depot solid color stain. Next spring I want to do the house in the same color(nice fairly new siding), but Behr dosnt seem like they make the best quality paints and stains... perhaps its just me... And everything I read says to use a "High quality paint" because they last longer and apply better. But no where does it say who makes better paint than who. Im not sure if its aloud to discuss which manufacturers are better than which on this site, but if it is, please let me know what ranking you would give to the solid color stains that are on the market.

Also the stain I used was very thick and paintlike, not exactly what I expected. And the stain that dried on the edge of my can where I whiped the brush while painting turned into a sheet of rubbery latex sort of stuff, also seems very paintlike to me. Is it normal for solid color stain to be so much like paint? Thanks for the info.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-04, 03:48 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Quality Paint

This thread has been moved from Lumber & Siding to Painting Forum for discussion.

Old 11-02-04, 05:53 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What makes a quality paint and which mfg makes quality paints has been discussed many times. Sherwin-Williams, Benjamin Moore, and Pratt-Lambert make top notch paints. There are some regional brands that are pretty darn good, too.

In my opinion, solid color stain is more paint than stain. Solid color stains do not penetrate into the wood fibers like a true stain does.