Tips for red paint

Old 11-01-04, 12:38 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tips for red paint

I am painting my dinning room a deep red. I am on my third coat and still have a streaky appearance. Any suggestions.

jd

Old 11-01-04, 12:39 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Did you prime it with a gray or tinted primer?

Old 11-02-04, 05:03 AM
B
At this point, just keep at it. You will probably need two more coats.

Peruse this forum for topics like "dark colors", and "red". This has been covered many many many many times.
Throw away the cheap tools. Now go buy quality tools. Also helps to buy the paint from a paint store. Flat is easier for a DIYer, semi-gloss is very hard for a DIYer.
Keep a wet edge - you may need a buddy to help. One will cut in, the other roll. Do not over-roll, nor over-brush. A roller sleeve of paint is good for about one roll floor to ceiling and no more.

Old 11-02-04, 10:19 AM
M
I've had the same problem. Has to do with the pigment cells of red paint and their ability to overlap and cover.

After I painted a room with FOUR (!) coats of paint. It looked great. A friend stopped by and said if I painted the room black first, the red would cover better. May be worth a try.

Old 11-07-04, 03:02 PM
MNGopher29
Visiting Guest
Some painting tips for everyone out there. There are 3 things that go into every paint job, the paint, the tools and the painter. Of the 3 things 2 of them have to be good quality to have a successful paint job. Most of us are not good painters so we rely on good tools and a quality paint to end up with a nice paint job. So if you are skimping on tools, that will help to cause your problems with painting. Good paint is a must too, look at the consistency of the paint. Is it thin? Not a good quality, it doesn't cover well.

As for the red paint, a dark primer will work just fine, sometimes you can even get it covered in one coat. Now don't go looking for a black primer because you can't get primer that color and not pay through the nose for it. Just pick up a primer and ask the paint people to put 2 ounces of black colorant into it, it will come out gray and this will be fine. Red doesn't cover well because of the colorant that is used. Red colorant is very thin and runny so when it is put into the paint, regardless of quality it doesn't give you a good coat. The gray primer helps in that it will make the "white" streaks you see in your coat darken and not so noticable.

Old 11-16-04, 04:21 PM
The info on this forum helped me out, partially after I got started too. I started with Behr paint, and THEN read in here confirming my opinion of it (sucks!). I switched to Pratt & Lambert on the advice of a local shop and verified with this forum. They use a red base which makes a big difference, and it covered very well. I had started with the pink primer (never again, gray or flat black next time) and used Behr paint. It was horrible. I switched to the Pratt & Lambert and fixed it in 1 coat. More expensive paint, but if I'd started with it, I would have saved money. It would have taken 3 or more coats with the Behr, I'm convinved.

Cliff's Notes: use good paint, read the forums *before* making the mistakes. (wish I'd done that)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: