Painting Old Kitchen Cabinets - Possible?

Old 11-02-04, 12:10 PM
fish_taste_good
Visiting Guest
Question Painting Old Kitchen Cabinets - Possible?

Hello all,

I am curious and looking for some opinions. I just purchased a townhome that was built in the early 1980's. The kitchen cabinets are the original, dark brown cabinets, which was the style back then. My question is, how much work is involved in painting these?

I ran across some cabinet paint at a paint store and was curious about it. Any opinions and or tips on what to do and where to start? They are currently stained, not painted, i think. Here is a link to a picture: http://www.coveragesolutions.net/ima...ll-kitchen.jpg (it is fairly high resolution)

Please help me.

Thanks,

Tripp

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-04, 06:16 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I ran across some cabinet paint at a paint store
What exactly is cabinet paint?

There is some work involved in painting cabinets. You must clean them thoroughly before you do anything else. A mix of TSP/water works well. After cleaning, sand them down with 120 grit paper, and brush on an oil or alkyd primer for durability. Very gently sand again with 220 grit, and dust off. Then finish with 2 coats of latex, semi-gloss or satin wear the best.

Old 11-03-04, 07:36 AM
fish_taste_good
Visiting Guest
I am not exactly sure what the cabinet paint is. My sister, who just moved back from Ireland and is painting her house, saw some in a paint shop and called and told me about it. That sparked my interest in it.

I think i will go to the store and actually look at the can and see what exactly it is.

Thanks for the tips.

Sincerely,

Alan