How to prime wet cedar railing for outdoor deck?

Old 11-05-04, 10:10 AM
K
kmith
Visiting Guest
Post How to prime wet cedar railing for outdoor deck?

I'm building an outdoor deck. The deck rail is clear cedar.
Normally, I prime exterior wood with an oil-based primer before painting it with acrylic paint.
But this time the cedar is green and it got caught in a day of rain before I could get it into the dry garage and the wood got wet.

What should I do?

Option A: I have brought it inside the house to dry out. After the wood dries, I can prime it with oil. But how do I know when the wood is dry enough?

Option B: I can prime it now. But will that seal in the moisture and cause the wood to rot from the inside?

Option C: I can prime it with a water-based primer. But will that hold up? Also I've heard that the resin inside the cedar will leak out with water-based primers.

Option D: Build the deck with the railing now and prime the wood next summer. Will the Pacific Northwest winter damage the untreated cedar? Will the unprimed inner surfaces of the railing be subject to rot over the years?

Thank you for your advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-04, 07:00 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I wouldn't prime unless its dry(then oilbase). Inside that might take awhile depending on air movement (having a fan) and heat. There are moisture meters but I've never used one. I think you could tell by how heavy it is. I would think 1 week might do it. I would rather finish the project and wait for summer to prime and paint. Cedar will should hold up fine in the weather.

Old 11-05-04, 07:32 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I choose Option D.
Yes, thats my final answer.
IMO, most wood does better weathered at least a couple season changes.