Removing latex paint

Old 11-13-04, 07:48 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Removing latex paint

After installing a new wall AC in my bedroom, I realized that the old bumpy paint on the wall could actually be peeled off in huge sheets. Since we were looking to paint the bedroom, how great would it be to be able to get rid off this old paint and start new.

So I preceded to pull this latex paint from the wall. It came off with no problem UNTIL I moved to the last wall in the room. This wall tends to be very difficult. I guess the paint adhered to this wall better. So what is happening is that I'm slowly, with much effort, removing small pieces of paint from this wall. I tried a paint remover, what a mess plus it was difficult to get the mushy paint off the wall when treated anyway. So I'm currently chipping away at the paint with a puddy knife. I'd like to give up and just even out where the paint remains and meets the bare wall with joint compound. Maybe even apply a thin layer of compound to the remaining painted wall to try to fill in the bumpiness. I'm hoping this would make this wall appear decent without visual discrepencies.

Looking for a professional opinion on if this would be a good course of action or if another one is better. Please help!

Old 11-13-04, 04:16 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Yeah, on the last wall, I would sand it down with 80 grit, removing all chunks if possible. Then prime the whole room with Zinsser's Gardz. This will lock down the surface, making it more stable for paint. Then skim coat the bad wall/areas until smooth. Re-Gardz the skimmed areas, and then paint.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: