Paint or Sealer for Concrete Floor

Old 11-19-04, 07:23 AM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Paint or Sealer for Concrete Floor

Have a basement that I'm slowly turning into a liveable area. I've completed most of it, but I've ran out of time and money currently so I'm not going to finish the last half of it. On the ground I just have concrete with little to no cracks on it. It's kind of painted up and was wondering if there is any kind of paint, sealer or whatever that I can put on it for the interim until i get around to putting down the tiles I have in mind! I want something I can put on it like paint and on top of it will probably be a throw rug (which won't cover it all) so in case something gets spilled or dog accidents, it can be cleaned up easier. And something that's more colorful than the grey color of concrete. Thanks.

Old 11-19-04, 04:32 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
It's kind of painted up
Does this mean it already has paint on it?

If its bare concrete, I'd use a concrete stain on it. If its already painted, look into alkyd porch and deck/floor enamels.

Old 11-23-04, 12:14 PM
kellyandkids
Visiting Guest
Starting from naked concrete

If I have a 16 yr old clean concrete floor and want a tile look without ever installing tile...should I stain or paint a faux finish? The area will be bedroom-office bathroom.

What is the rule for "tile" size? office is 12x4, bedroom is 18x14.

How do I get the "grout" lines if I am staining?

I want a sandstone color when done. But wet look or dry?

Cracks just inside the bedroom door like 2 rivers coming together. Sould I incorporate into design or "repair"?

Anything else I should know? Like if I practice, should I do it on the closet floor or a piece of sheetrock?

Sign me eager to get it started and done. At least I already own the muriatic acid.

Old 11-23-04, 08:00 PM
S
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Is this what you mean?
Or inspiration maybe?
http://acid-stain.com/

Old 11-26-04, 09:16 AM
capricorn
Visiting Guest
Talking

I used an epoxy coating with a decorative terrazzo finish from UCoat It. Looks cool and cleans up easily. There are now several systems available from different manufacturers that will greatly inhance your area. Do a web search and check them out. ( I saw them do the UCoat It on DIY TV for a weekend project on garage makeovers last week)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: