Problem painting over previously wallpapered wall

Old 11-23-04, 03:00 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Problem painting over previously wallpapered wall

Hi,

I am painting a room that previously had been wallpapered. I am using a latex satin paint and the problem I am having is that the finish on the walls is not even. I've tried using a roller and then a brush, but from a side angle it looks like there are brush marks everywhere. My fear is that this is theses "brush marks" are actually wallpaper glue that was still left on the wall. Is there anything I can do at this point that doesn't involve removing all the paint. Also, if this is glue, if I used a flat paint would that hide the glue better?

Much Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-04, 05:06 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
My fear is that this is theses "brush marks" are actually wallpaper glue that was still left on the wall.
Most likely.
if I used a flat paint would that hide the glue better?
Yes, it would hide a little better, but the glue would still easily eat through the latex paint down the road.
Is there anything I can do at this point that doesn't involve removing all the paint.
I would lightly sand the wall, and coat it with Zinsser's Gardz, actually 2 coats would be best. Really work the stuff in with the roller. This will help seal the wall, hopefully not allowing the residual paste from degrading the paint. Skim out the rough looking areas with joint compound, then prime/paint.