Can I paint green board?

Old 11-27-04, 08:33 PM
stevewh
Visiting Guest
Can I paint green board?

Can I paint greenboard instead of using it as a tile backing in a bathroom?

I have a customer who does not want tile around his new Jacuzzie whirlpool tub but is afraid of the water damage from the kids splashing the walls.

Is painted greenboard enough protection?

Steve

Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-04, 09:16 PM
lmcgrew79
Visiting Guest
yes painted green board is fine just caulk all cracks and openings probably oil based paint would be the best water resistant.. why arent u using durarock under tile?

Old 11-27-04, 09:43 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Stevewh,
Painting over greenboard IS NOT enough protection from water. Please read the following post by one of our moderators, Doug Aleshire who is very knowledgable and a designer. Read down to his explanations on greenboard.

http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=184179

Paint over greenboard would crumble quickly if subjected to a lot of water. Even with an oil based primer and paint.

Good luck on your project and post back if you have further questions.

Old 11-27-04, 10:05 PM
stevewh
Visiting Guest
Painting green board

OK, so i'll tell him to scrap the greenboard idea and go with concrete backerboard. It's kind of stone looking right or is it smooth?

Can it be just primed and painted. My customer does not want to use tile.

Steve

Old 11-27-04, 10:24 PM
I suppose it could be primed and painted but not sure how it would look or how long it would last. Would the customer be willing to use something like a fiberglass surround or something like that. They are not that expensive and reletively easy to install. Waterproof also. I don't think your customer will be happy a year or so down the road but thats his choice.

Old 11-28-04, 07:50 AM
Another option would be to prime the greenboard with a penetrating alkyd primer, then paint it. Then apply a clear coat of matte polyurethane for protection. Not the best choice, but a choice.

Old 11-28-04, 07:57 AM
lmcgrew79
Visiting Guest
usg has a product a lil different than greenboard called aquatough. cement board i dont think would be a good choice to paint as that its is made for tile applications. unless water is gonna be standing on the greenboard i dont think there will be a large problem. as long as the protective coating(paint) is up to par. maybe even a exterior 100 acrylic based paint. as ive seen most places in bathrooms where the greenboard starts to crumble is where it meets the tub or sink etc. so i think a good acrylic caulk job would help then maybe clear silicone caulk after painting is complete. just a suggestion

Old 11-28-04, 08:23 AM
J
I might try some of the fleckstone type product and cleacoat it with something to make it water resistant like clear urethane or something