Airless paint gun with automotive paint?

Old 12-06-04, 06:22 AM
ultimax
Visiting Guest
yes i've asked auto painters for quotations and I didn't like what I was quoted. they basically wanted to charge me the cost of the professional equipment that hardware shop wanted to sell me. And I shopped around - all the quotations were about the same. I suppose you're paying for their experience, time and labour.

My bike's old and it's hardly the flashy sort. I'm not particular about gettinmg a show-room finish, hence my decision to undertake the paint job myself.

Maybe cans will work, maybe they won't. We'll soon find out If the paint starts peeling/chipping, then maybe i'll consider investing in a proper system and see if I can split the cost among friends.

Whatever the case, I'm sure I'll learn a lot (I've already learnt lots so far) and I suppose that's what's important.

Originally Posted by slickshift
Yeah if it's just the one project it's hard to justify the cost of the tools
Have you stopped by any shops/paint booths and asked how much for them to do it?
You'd get a nicer finish than with cans
I'd wonder what a bike job would go for there
Also the cans vary in quality, some are VERY good
I actually won't paint anything with a can unless it's a color that Eastwood Co. (auto restoration tools) makes, the stuff is unbelievable
So my lawn furniture matches the engine block from a '74 AMC Javelin
HaHa
Let us know how it goes!

Old 12-06-04, 06:25 AM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Good Luck!
and Have Fun!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: