almost out of paint!

Old 12-04-04, 06:14 PM
niceli
Visiting Guest
almost out of paint!

I have been pondering this problem for the past couple of days and just read something here that has given me an idea. Could someone please weigh in??!
I have painted a room with 2 coats of paint, which I thought was going to be plenty but after letting the room dry and sit for a week, I have noticed a few areas that still need another go over. I am down to about 1 pint of paint and I'm afraid this may not be enough by the time I pour it out and load up my roller. I really don't want to start with another gallon since the color may not match. It is a latex paint, eggshell finish in a winter wheat brownish type color. Could I possibly thin with a bit of water to make it go a bit farther and cover the areas that need more paint. There isn't a lot of area to cover, but as I said, I don't think a pint is going to cut it. If I can use water, how much would be ok? OR, is there another way?

thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-04, 06:34 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thinning paint is not a good idea in this case. Paint bases come in quarts also. I would take your persent color to the paint store and have them mix a quart. This way you would have an ample supply if the need arises to repair a defect in the wall due to accident or other cause.
Good luck

Old 12-05-04, 08:25 AM
niceli
Visiting Guest
majakdragon, I had always heard that a second can of paint won't match exactly, even if they have the exact recipe. That was my reason for wondering about thinning the paint. I have no problem buying more paint if I need it, I just didn't want to have to redo the entire room if the paint colors don't match.

thanks

Old 12-05-04, 09:14 AM
I understand your concerns however thinning the paint could cause the same problem. When you have a large project and need several cans to complete it, the cans are mixed seperatly. Take the paint back to the same place you bought it from and have them mix it. Do not use a different brand of base as that could change the color. The color should be the same with all the same ingredients.

Most paint suppliers place a paint swatch on top of the can after mixing. When you have the paint mixed, allow the swatch to dry and compare it with the swatch on your original can. They should match.

Good luck with your project and post back

Old 12-05-04, 10:01 AM
I would suggest buying a quart of new, and box it (mix) with the old pint you have left. If these were purchased at a qualified paint store, maybe not a discount box store, the color should be fine.

Also, use a mini-roller, like Wooster's jumbo roller, or a whizz roller, and roll out the small areas. These will help blend the finish. We use these to touch-up small areas on big walls.

Old 12-05-04, 11:18 PM
Knight4God
Visiting Guest
The problem with sheens other than flat,is if you try to touch-up a small area,those touchups will be shinier than the rest of the wall.Satins and eggshells are notorious for this.You'll probably end up repainting the entire room for the best results.

Old 12-06-04, 06:32 AM
niceli
Visiting Guest
I ended up buying another quart and mixing with my remaining paint. So far it looks good....hoping it looks good after it's totally dry.

thanks everyone for your help!