Bathroom paint

Old 12-07-04, 05:12 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bathroom paint

I need to repaint my bathroom because the old paint (semi-gloss bathroom paint) is beginning to fail. I have paint flaking off and checking around the shower area. My wife had used some type of cleaner on the chrome shower head and pipe that seems to have made the paint in that area soft and blister up. I suspect the prep wasn't the best when the paint was first applied over primer (original paint). What can I do to get rid of the checking and blistering paint? Is there a stripper I can use that won't mess up the fiberglass surround or the sheetrock around the surround? Or is ther esomething else I can do short of replacing the sheetrock in the area. The rest of the bathroom's paint is alright, but I will repaint the whole room. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-04, 06:28 PM
KCPainter
Visiting Guest
okay if it is possible take a razor knife and gently cut around the blistered area only cutiing through the paper of the sheetrock and then peel it off then mud make sure the mud works for bathrooms for moisture purposes then sand and paint with a flat paint and then the original

Old 12-13-04, 04:02 AM
Thanks KC! That sounds good for the blisters but what about the checking or flaking paint? I thought if I could chemically strip the paint off somehow and then sand well that it could work. I guess the question would be what kind of stripper would I need? Thanks for the help.

Old 12-13-04, 05:39 AM
Please explain 'checking' paint.

Old 12-14-04, 04:05 AM
Well, it's small cracks in the paint from the looks of it. These small cracks, when allowed to get worse, eventually start to flake off revealing the primer underneath. When I was doing bodywork many years ago we would have to strip the paint off of areas that had this type of problem because you could not paint over it, it would just return even worse. That's the reason for the question on paint stripper but maybe there is a better way? This paint problem is just around the shower area so it isn't a large area but unsightly. I just have never had to deal with this type of problem in a house and really don't know what's the best way to take care of it short of replacing the wallboard or covering it with tile or something which, considering the potential for even more failure of the paint underneath, is not a great idea either. Thanks for your help!