neglected cedar sided barn

Old 02-03-00, 03:38 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I bought a place with 3 acres and a barn 18 months ago and painted the house last summer. Now, my attention has turned to the barn. Cedar-sided, it has been neglected for years. Do I have the option of using a good latex primer and paint? Must I stain the wood? Any preparation tips? I have loose boards, very weathered stain, and moss build up on lower boards. Any suggestions with good direction is appreciated. Thanks.

------------------

Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-00, 05:11 AM
Visiting Guest
Yes, you can use primer and paint. The moss and all other dirt needs to be cleaned off, and cleaned off well. A power washer will work, BUT keep the pressure low so as to not damage the wood fibers. Let it dry thoroughly.

Use a good binding primer. I recommend a zinsser primer. These cost a bit more, but you want to do the job right the first time.

Then cover with a good acrylic exterior paint. Get the paint from a paint store, not a paint department.

Old 02-06-00, 04:30 PM
Visiting Guest
I probably would have reccomended an alkyd solid stain for this barn, the reason being that the alkyd will help to rejuvenate the wood some, you do not need a primer coat, the solid color will hide most imperfections in one coat and this will be more economical to apply. High quality solid alkyd stains generally last around 6 to 8 years, and you can recoat over them and use them as a foundation for paint.