Paint Removal on Stained Wood

Old 02-08-00, 01:21 PM
Visiting Guest
In looking at the postings, I found the following information on removing paint from window frames:
Products like "JASCO" and "BIX" that contain Methylene Chloride work best on Oil based paints. Methylene Chloride is known to cause cancer in rats and it's suspected to do the same in humans. It also creates Carbon Monoxide in the blood if you breath it for too long in a confined area. With those drawbacks, it's one of the better strippers for oil based paint.

Critustrip, one of the newer type stripping products works better for latex paints, only it works more slowly. The solvents that is does contain are less harmful than the former.

After using either product the surface must be washed with paint thinner or another solvent to remove the residue left behind.

My personal favorite is Star 10. You may drop your cud when you find out what it costs, but it's the best all around product that I have found so far. You can read about it, if you like, at http://www.starten.com

After stripping and washing, sand with 220, prime with either oil based primer or latex undercoat, then top coat.

When using paint stripper, it's always a good idea to read the label and look up the MSDS data sheet on the Web. Then you'll know what the product contains, what harmful affects it may have, and how to store and handle it.

If you don't want to use a chemical stripper use a heat gun and a carbide scraper.
I am wondering what I can use to remove paint from trim and doors that already have a nice stain underneath them. Can I use any of these products or will they also remove the stain?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-00, 05:04 AM
Visiting Guest
I don't know that anyone around here has ever faced that problem. Usually, once someone has painted woodwork, they continue to paint it.

Stains go into the pores of the wood. You won't remove the stain without removing the top layer of the wood or dipping the wood into a solvent bath.

That said, there is the danger these strippers will bleach or otherwise react chemically with the stain. Test the stripper on an inconspicous piece. If it looks ok, continue on a little at a time.

What d oyou have to lose? If the stain doesn't look good, you just go back to paint.