price

Old 02-17-00, 08:40 AM
Visiting Guest
I'm going to be moving and want to get my house painted. What is a fair price to paint the inside including paint. I live in the Detroit area, my house is as follows. A two story 2200 sq. ft. house with 3 bedrooms, 2 half baths & 1 full bath, small formal dining room & living rm. family rm. big kitchen a foyer and first floor laundry rm. All doors and woodwork would be painted. The house would be painted one coat all the same color, off white.

Old 02-26-00, 01:27 PM
Visiting Guest
Don,

Remember Karma? What goes around comes around?

I am constantly hear from new homeowners that the people who sold them their house really jerked them around with a quick and dirty paint job that masked larger problems.
These very people are the same ones who called me in to do a quick and dirty paint job to mask larger problems in the house they just sold.

On the other hand, one of my clients sold their house, and in the process of moving out made sure that the paint job was really nice for the incoming homeowner. Not surprisingly, he receives similar treatment in his dealings with others. You will get back $1 for every $1 you spend sprucing up the house. This does not mean you go out and get a bunch of fancy decorative painting done. That will not pay for itself. If a homeowner can move into your house and leave it alone for the next threee years, that's a big, big bonus.

Have your painters do a good job. Not the Taj Mahal, but nice. If you check out Marshall and Swift's Home Repair and Remodel Cost Guide, you'll find that when all is said and done, you'll need to figure a minimum of $4 per square foot (of floor space) to do a good job.

The less woodwork you have to do the more the price rides down. Woodwork...expensive. Ceilings and walls...cheap (if they're in okay shape...drywall, not too old).

Good luck, Don

------------------
Mike Walsh, Emperor
Mike Walsh Painting and Decorating

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: