Painting old exterior clapboard siding

Old 03-01-00, 07:24 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

Ours is a 1920's bungalow that we assume has lead based paint somewhere in its many coats. Lots of cracking and peeling. What is the best way to remove these old layers? Suggestions have included: power washers, disc griders, chemicals. I have heard of some type of power sanders specifically for this application. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-00, 07:19 PM
Visiting Guest
Dry removal methods for lead based paints is not a smart idea, nor is powerwashing. Powerwashing will send thousands of paint particles through the air, and the clean up will be a mess. Also, a powerwasher with sufficent force behind it for paint removal (without the assitance of a pre-wash chemical paint remover) will cut the underlying surface leaving wand marks or raised hairs on wooden surfaces.

If you intend to do-it-yourself (a vilotation of law in some U.S. states) a product such as Peel Away or a home made Lye paint remover would be better options. For more information contact the National Lead Information Center at 1-800-424-LEAD and check for existing State Lead Abatement Laws before you begin.

Old 12-21-07, 08:40 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smile

I used an electric paint burner to remove paint from my house. Nothing else does a better job.

Old 12-24-07, 12:54 PM
I have seen this in action and looks good. I have used a low velocity "Milwaukee Electric Tools" heat gun. In takes five different tips. One tip is for removing old glazed in windows. 1100 degrees. But next time I will have to try this electric paint burner.

Old 12-25-07, 06:06 AM
S
A very old thread, but it brings up a safety issue worth repeating

...we assume has lead based paint somewhere in its many coats. Lots of cracking and peeling. What is the best way to remove these old layers? Suggestions have included: power washers, disc griders, chemicals. I have heard of some type of power sanders specifically for this application. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Not one of these suggestions is safe or legal

As a general rule, encapsulation, if legal in your area, is the (just about only) real option for DIYers

In this case:
Lots of cracking and peeling.
Encapsulation is not an option

I would be remiss to not suggest a profesional
As the EPA clearly states:

"Do not try to perform an
abatement in your home
yourself. Always use a
certified contractor. If not
properly performed, an
abatement can actually
increase the risk
of exposing your family
to lead."

If there is a chance of lead paint, and it's not tested to prove otherwise, you must act as if it has lead paint
*****Do not sand, scrape, media blast, use methylene chloride, propane torch or heat gun that operates over 700* F*****