Painting over vinyl wall coverings

Old 03-24-00, 01:22 PM
Visiting Guest
We have a mobile home and the master bath has walls covered with vinyl wallcovering. It is the type that comes from the housing mfgr already installed. How can I paint over this? I can't remove it and someone told me paint will not stick to it...Help!

Old 03-26-00, 04:24 AM
Visiting Guest
Painting precovered mobile home paneling can be done in the same manner as painting vinyl wallcovering.Since it is not practical to remove the paper in your case you may paint and use the correct products to assure it will stay.Simply put,you MUST use a 100% acrylic latex primer.Nothing short of this will work.It is sold at Lowes and Sherwin Williams under various names.If you have a Richards dealer near you,Holzout2 is great.Some will tell you that you must use Kilz or some other oil based product.This just not the case.Acryic has many properties that oil does not.Water cleanup and ease of use are just a bonus.Be sure to have the primer tinted to match the topcoat.You may get by with one topcoat and may use any paint as finish coat.Always buy the best paint you can stand.Be advised that Holzout2 or similar products dont hold back lipstick,hairspray,crayon,grease or any bleeders.Spot with stain killer for these problems.

Old 03-27-00, 04:45 AM
Visiting Guest
Your average primer will not bond well with the vinyl. Use either zinsser's BIN or Ben Moore's Fresh Start. These are formulated to bond with slick surfaces.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: