Cutting In Using Masking Tape

Old 04-01-00, 06:40 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

I am decorating the bathroom ceiling and walls with emulsion paint(ceiling white - walls blue).

My main problem is achieving an accurate dividing line between the ceiling and walls.I would like to use low tack masking tape(eg.3M)-(1)will this avoid peeling off the paint beneath it when it is removed (2)how long should the paint be allowed for hardening (3)how long can the tape be left on -two coats may be needed

Old 04-01-00, 08:07 AM
Visiting Guest
Masking tape can sometimes bring on false security when cutting in. There are times when the panit will get underneath and wick to the underside. While it does this it sticks to the area you are attempting to mask.

I feel that a steady hand is more trustworthy than dealing with the wicking problem.

But that's my opinion.

------------------
MTAC - Van Buren,MO
www.carpenter.cjb.net
Home repair & Construction

"Where the character and work are always upright"

Anything worth cutting down a tree for, is worth doing right.
www.toolreview.cjb.net

[This message has been edited by More than a Carpenter (edited April 01, 2000).]

Old 04-02-00, 06:53 PM
Visiting Guest
I agree with More. Buy a top quality brush and a separate paint pail. Never dip the brush into the bucket the paint comes in - the lid edge will ruin the brush.

Dip the brush in about 1/2 inch or so. Tap the brush against the sides of the pail to kock off excess paint. Paint a short stroke close to the ceiling to further remove excess paint. Now lay the tips into the corner and paint with a steady hand. The key is to paint with the tips of the brush.

Quality paint flows and covers better. A top notch brush holds more paint and lets that paint flow better.

Old 04-02-00, 06:55 PM
Visiting Guest
As to the MASKING TAPE .... It should be removed before the paint dries. Otherwise, you may pull off some of the paint from the wall when you remove the tape.

Old 04-05-00, 12:31 PM
Visiting Guest
More and BobF -

Many thanks for your replies.

I do understand the points you make about the limitations of masking tape and appreciate the helpful hints concerning the use of brushes when cutting in.

My main problem is the wall above the tiling
over the bath - this is difficult to reach other than balancing on the edge of the bath, which as I am 70 yrs. old and my legs are affected by arthritis anyway is not a very feasible idea! In any case this would still be too far away from the wall to work comfortably and to control a brush accurately.

Placing steps in the bath seems impracticable, but I am considering the idea of cutting a thick plank to fit between the walls at each end of the bath - with cutouts for the taps.

Thanks again for your help and interest.

Denis.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: