Adding to Paint for a textured look

Old 03-28-00, 01:30 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

Can anyone tell me what my options are if I want to add a substance to paint to give a textured look? Please give details on substances, how to mix with paint, how to apply to wall, etc.. - I am clueless. Thanks.

Old 03-28-00, 08:07 PM
Visiting Guest
What type of textured look do you want? Some types of textured finishes are applied prior to painting. The two main ones are skipped trowel and orange peel. When it comes to adding things to paint to accomplish a textured appearance the choices are almost limitless. Common ones are thinned Joint Taping Compound (1 cup per gallon), whiting (about the same as before), vermiculite (to personal preference), and sand (about 4 oz. per gallon). More abstract: saw dust, dried grass clippings, flower petals, ground cork, metal flake, and on and on.

When mixing, mix by folding (normally). After mixing the paint must be stirred occasionally to avoid settling. Normal application is with a roller (nap type and length varies). In some cases a brush may be used, in others a sponge or rag. There are no solid rules for application technique "how tos". The best way to find out how something will look is to try it.

Old 04-07-00, 08:23 PM
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb

Are you sure you want to texture the wall? I recently put a colored glaze on my wall & removed some by rolling a wadded-up piece of cheese cloth. The look was stunning & everyone touches it to see if it's textured or wall-papper! It was cheep & easy too! Good luck with your project!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: