Rookie mistakes

Old 12-26-04, 09:24 PM
NeedsHelpInBigD
Visiting Guest
Rookie mistakes

Hi All,

Well i painted my living room and dining room wall that has orangepeel texture, but not the ceilings(and no molding). I taped everything off.

the first mistake i'm thinking i made (after getting some time to read through more forum posts) is that i did not take off the blue painters tape when i finished. It's been a few days that i was gone since i left for the holidays, and i'm resuming project tomorrow. Just peeled off some tape, and it looks like i'm in for some touch up jobs.

So, question are:
do you pros normally NOT tape off walls and baseboards and just cut in by hand? (taping everything off seemed very time consuming, and after peeling 1 strip of tape, looks like its not going to have gained me anything at all with the textured walls)

what size of brush do you cut in with?

when cutting in, do you hold the brush using the full width or do you rotate it and use the "side" of it(seems like you can apply more pressure with less spreading of bristles)?(hopefully that makes sense)

Thanks for the help!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-04, 06:10 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
We normally do not tape, we cut in by hand. The only thing we tape is any horizontal surface that would get spattered by the roller as the walls are being rolled, which is usually just the top lip of the baseboard, or maybe the top edge of chair rail. This is just my company tho, I've seen other pros who prefer to tape. In my opinion, its a waste of time if you can handle a brush.

We use 3" sash brushes, and I have the rookies learn using these. The longer they use a little brush, the longer it will take to get them using a bigger brush.
Most rookies/DIY'ers do well with a 2 1/2" angled sash brush, its easier to get in corners and cut a straight line with, just doesn't hold much paint.

As for how to use the brush, its hard to expalin. Click the link below for a good how-to for cutting in with brushes.

Cutting in w/ a brush

Old 12-27-04, 09:26 AM
NeedsHelpInBigD
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the link Prowallguy.

Good info. Will give it a shot today since i'm going to need to do alot of touch ups.

Old 12-27-04, 11:51 AM
B
I do not tape either. As you found out, taping is time consuming and doesn't really save anything. Better to learn proper technique.

Do follow the link provided by pwg.

A couple more hints.
1. Pour the paint inot a separate pail. Do not use the can the paint came in. You will end up catching bristles on the lip of the can and that leads to stray bristles. Even the best can't control stray bristles!
2. Paint with the tips of the brush. Never paint with the sides.
3. Purchase quality paint. Yes, there is a difference! Quality paint will flow easier and you can get a longer stroke. When you get the hang of it, painting a 3-4 foot stroke is easier and neater than lots of little strokes. Cheap paint does not allow you to do this.
4. Buy top qulaity brushes. A $12 brush really does outperform a $2 brush. The better brushes hold more paint and release the paint better (goes with #3 above). Go with a 2-1/2" sash brush. Once you get the hang of it, even a 4" brush is easy.
5. You will get paint where you don't want it. No problem. Keep a rag handy and just wipe it off while still wet.

Old 12-27-04, 10:26 PM
NeedsHelpInBigD
Visiting Guest
Dropped by SW today and picked me up a $14 2 1/2 inch sash brush per recommendations of buying quality for next project.

peeled tape off today. what a mess. will never tape textured walls again on future paint projects. Seems blatently obvious in hindsight...but i guess live and learn!

showtime tomorrow. although at this point to touch up/straighten the wall/ceiling line, i was thinking of taking just a small artist paintbrush, instead of intoducing a big stroke on the wall and risk having that more noticable since first coat is already dry? comments? good/bad idea?

thanks!

Old 12-27-04, 10:48 PM
I understand your side, but an artist's brush would literally take hours. Maybe a 1 1/2" angle might be more comfortable to try.