Painting Aluminum Siding?

Old 04-09-00, 04:49 PM
Visiting Guest
I guess no one has aluminum siding anymore, but my wife wants to paint over our light blue aluminum siding with dark (barn) red. A power wash guy wants to power wash it then spray paint it. Does anyone know how reliably this paint will stick over the years, and, it seems like if one spot is missed with the power wash and peeling oocurs, then the eye will be seriously drawn to that light blue spot on the dark red.
Anyone have experience with painting aluminum siding?
Thanks alot.
Steve in High Bridge, NJ

Old 04-11-00, 09:05 PM
Visiting Guest
Your powerwashing "guy" is on track. Latex primer and a latex topcoat (of good to better quality) can be expected to last 7-10 years.

Old 04-11-00, 09:36 PM
Visiting Guest
If I may add to the above reply,make sure you get 100% acrylic in both of these paints

Old 04-13-00, 04:47 PM
Visiting Guest
Any particular type Acrylic Latex primer, or are all primers roughly the same and will stick to aluminum siding just like everything else?
Thanks alot.
Steve

quote:<HR>Originally posted by mikejmerritt:
If I may add to the above reply,make sure you get 100% acrylic in both of these paints<HR>

Old 04-13-00, 08:25 PM
Visiting Guest
I would use a major name brand for the primer.The best I have used is Richards Holzout 2.I think you would find it at a paint store rather than a superstore.Sherwin-Willaims also has a good primer.On the subject of topcoat,I think the age old advice of"get the best you can afford would apply here".

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: