Painting on oak trim

Old 04-20-00, 09:16 AM
Visiting Guest
I just purchased a new home with a large amount of oak trim stained very dark. I would like to paint all the trim white but I am unsure of how I can do this or if I can do this. Any suggestions?

Old 04-20-00, 01:32 PM
Visiting Guest
Sand the trim using a 320 grit sand paper in the direction of the grain. Wipe surface with denatured alchohol to remove any residues. Mask off above and below and paint trim using the Shellac based zinnser Primer. Let dry as per instructions then top coat with either and oil based/alkyd enamel or a latex whatever you prefer working with. The latex is water clean up so you may want to use that if you are not comfortable using the oils.
Wipe the surface with a TACK CLOTH just before applying the paint. This procedure of sanding,using an excellent primer,plus a good enamel paint will ensure many years of good service. I like the Manor Hall Series Paint by Pittsburg. It is has excellent gloss retention,durability and covering characteristics.
quote:<HR>Originally posted by dthompso:
I just purchased a new home with a large amount of oak trim stained very dark. I would like to paint all the trim white but I am unsure of how I can do this or if I can do this. Any suggestions?<HR>

------------------
Gary Goel/Owner Newkote Kitchen & Bath Refinishing
We are just a shade better...
gary@newkote.com

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: