Painted Plastic Shutters

Old 05-04-00, 03:15 PM
Visiting Guest
How can I remove paint from plastic outdoor window shutters? I have loked at some of the commercial strippers and they are not recommended for plastic. Anyone have any tips? Thank You

Old 05-06-00, 11:59 AM
Visiting Guest
Two things come to mind when I look at your post.First most strippers come in plastic bottles(at least around here)although some are in metal cans and I'm sure they would be using plastic if they could.So I dont think any stripper that comes in plastic will be harmful to plastic shutters.Perhaps if you did not intend to paint it may discolor somewhat and would not be an option.If you decide to strip brush on and cover with plastic and allow time for stripper to work.Another option is to rent a pressure washer and simply blast it off.They can be rented by the day or half day and range from $25-35 for a half day(4 or 5 hours)to $50-60 for a whole day(24hours).If you repaint,only use 100% acrylic latex paint.

Old 05-06-00, 05:29 PM
Visiting Guest
A word of caution - if the stripper says don't use on plastic - DON'T!

Not all plastics are equal. Many shutters are made from a polyethelyne plastic which will disentigrate under stripper - including the environmentally safe 'water wash' ones. Most plastic bottles for strippers, sovents, etc., are made of a polybutelyne similar in molecular structure to some brands of 'plastic' water pipe - they ain't the same folks.

Been there - done that - ain't gonna do it again...

George
Forum Moderator
Furniture Refinishing

Old 05-06-00, 09:20 PM
Visiting Guest
Another word of caution. You do not paint the shutters a darker color then they originally came. This may cause them to warp.
Also you may just sand them and put a good coat of PREP-RITE ANCHOR BOND PRIMER made by sherwin williams specifically for priming,
plastics,glass,porcelain,formica,basically hard to grip surfaces.
quote:<HR>Originally posted by Ef955:
How can I remove paint from plastic outdoor window shutters? I have loked at some of the commercial strippers and they are not recommended for plastic. Anyone have any tips? Thank You<HR>

------------------
Gary Goel/Owner Newkote Kitchen & Bath Refinishing
We are just a shade better...
gary@newkote.com

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: