Paint peeling when removing masking

Old 05-16-00, 11:05 AM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

I am painting walls and trim different colors and am having trouble when removing the masking tape. After painting the trim, when I remove the tape, the paint on the walls is peeling off with it. The walls were painted 2 days before. Is there anything I can do to minimize the peeling?

Old 05-16-00, 08:50 PM
Visiting Guest
If you're not using blue masking tape, switch. If you lack a steady brush hand, you could use a paint guard (old drywall taping knife) instead of masking tape.

Old 05-17-00, 08:05 AM
Visiting Guest
Couldn't that be a symptom of a greater problem? I had the same thing happen to me when painting my kitchen. We figured it was because we didn't prime the walls first. (and it was probably done with an oil based kitchen paint, which we were covering with latex. we didn't have the problem anywhere else in the house) Even now, months later, we worry about scrubbing too hard. Could it be a paint problem, as opposed to a tape problem? (this is more of a related question than a reply)

Old 05-17-00, 11:26 AM
Visiting Guest
I Doubt there is anything wrong with the paints. The problem is in the Preparation. You must sand and degloss the baseboards prior to coatings them. A good bond to the old surface can not be achieved unless it has the following:
a. Clean
b. Dry
C. Dull
When doing the prep you should sand the base boards thoroughly. Then wipe them down with liquid sandpaper to totally degloss the surface.
The latex paint needs time to CURE. There are three stages to curing.
1. Dry to touch
2. Dry
3. Full cure (about 7 days for latex).
Last of all. Always run a razor across the tape line where it meets the baseboard and wall, then pull the tape. Never Just pull it right up! Use a new blade in a utility knife. This way you can safely remove the tape while the coating has a chance to bond and cure.

------------------
Gary Goel/Newkote Kitchen & Bath Refinishing. [URL=http://www.newkote.com
We]http://www.newkote.com
URL] Just a shade better...
gary@newkote.com

Old 05-17-00, 01:34 PM
Visiting Guest
You now know how to prevent this problem in the future.What we do to remove stuck tape is warm with a blow dryer.Not high tech,but it does work and I believe thats what we want.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: