Old plaster walls, flaking paint, prep questions

Old 05-22-00, 03:46 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I've been reading other entries, and I have reason to believe that our plaster walls have calcimine paint on them (it rubs off easily where paint has flaked off). I'd LOVE to not have to scrape (or melt with a heat gun) the whole living room and hallway, but my question is this: even if you use Durabond over the areas that have flaked off, isn't it possible for other areas of the wall to flake off in the future? Does Durabond prevent this? And do I have to use it over the whole wall, or just where I have scraped flaky paint? It makes me leery to paint over a surface that has already flaked, but if I don't have to melt or strip the paint down to the bare calcimine, I sure don't want to.

Thanks -

Old 05-23-00, 09:23 AM
Visiting Guest
You have sort of answered your own question. Using a short cut technique or product is a calcualted risk. The best way to prep is to scrape and sand (things haven't changed much in 100 years). Seems like everyone wants to do-it-themselves but when it comes to "work" the same question arises: "Do I have to?" Make a choice, it's your house.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: