Painting a two room wall

Old 05-27-00, 04:12 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

The front wall in my livingroom is continueous into my entry hall where the front door is. I want to paint my living room and add a chair rail, but want to leave the entry hall section of the wall a different color. How can break the colors? Do I have to change the whole color scheme of the entry way to match the living room?

Old 05-27-00, 04:24 PM
Visiting Guest
About the only way I know of to break paint or paper in the middle of a wall is to use some type of molding.We use half round 1/2 or 3/4 or for a dressier look perhaps a half rope mold.Sorry I dont have more to offer.Maybe some others will respond and we can all learn something!

Old 05-27-00, 05:17 PM
Visiting Guest
Friend of mine had a similar problem. His solution was to wrap the living room area with a wallpaper border (at the ceiling). Where the wall continued into the entryway, he used the same pattern vertically to delineate between the two areas...worked well for him.

Old 05-27-00, 05:43 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool

One way to make a break if a thin strip like a molding doesn't look right.

I read your post as you want to break one continuous flat wall where there is not a natural break point like the hard edge of a corner.

Use molding to make like a picture frame and wallpaper the interior of that frame.

That way you can control the size of the area you want and get an interface area for both painted surfaces. Putting some separation between two painted surfaces with a different texture other that paint helps to blend decorating schemes better.

Plus a custom size break is easy to design for the application. Doesn't cost much either.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: