Painting over severe smoke damage?

Old 05-22-00, 08:22 PM
Visiting Guest
Can I just paint over sever smoke damage in a house? Do I have to clean the walls first then paint or will the paint just cover the damage? The walls are extremely black from kerosene heaters being burnt in the home for a few months. Any help is appreciated.

Curtis C.

Old 05-23-00, 10:00 AM
Visiting Guest
One fire and water damage contractor that I know uses latex enamel undercoat to paint over some damage. In the long run it's better to clean the surface. Try TSP.

Old 05-27-00, 08:10 AM
Visiting Guest
If I am to be sure that smoke damage and stains(stains I think will be the problem here)will not effect the finish coat I would use a KILZ type primer sealer.To avoid this messy and smelly task you may try a sample spot to see if you get any discoloration when dry.

Old 05-27-00, 05:51 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool

Clean it as best you can, TSP is good.

They make a product to cover over smoke and fire damage. It is like a paint. Any big home center should have it, most Home Depot do.

Its designed primarily to seal in the oders cause by fire damage, when remodeling after.
Also handles any smoke residue left over.

Can paint directly over it. Forget the name, if you don't see it, ask in paint section.

Old 05-02-05, 06:27 AM
azureblue
Visiting Guest
KILZ Original and KILZ Oderless are both formulated for heavy stain blocking of smoke, pet, nicotine ect. Found out for myself after accidently turning on the wrong eye on the stove and then leaving the kitchen!! Servepro washed everything down so I am not painting over loose residue. I did notice that whatever it was they used(secret family recipe!!) smelled like it had alot of amonnia it. You should probably get as much residue off as possible and then come back over it with the KLIZ. I had some pretty dark areas that covered with one coat.

I used to think that painting a fence was the worst painting project ever but have come to discover it is actually ceilings!! Good luck.

Old 05-02-05, 03:22 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
It is always best to remove as much of the suet as possible. If smoke damage is not properly sealed the smell can come through the paint even if the stains did not. That is why when ever smoke damge repair is done, what is not replaced is well painted with a stain hiding primer [kilz,etc]

Old 05-02-05, 03:44 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
IMO best smoke damage primer = B I N shellac.

Do you guys realize we are replying to a 5-yr old thread?

Old 05-03-05, 08:30 AM
azureblue
Visiting Guest
Prowallguy, Me...Idiot! Must have been the fumes I had to live with after the "indoor barbeque"! Should be a law against 1/2 decade old threads. Appears it has been here longer than you! I guess we just made this one the longest active one on the site!!

Last edited by azureblue; 05-03-05 at 08:45 AM.
Old 11-08-08, 07:46 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I know it is five year old post but

I just found the site by Google in fire damage and found helpful info. Also, you never know when a new product comes out to help with this.

Just bought a rental home and found out it had a fire at one time. Was preparing to pull down the drop ceilings and remove the plywood and tar paper from the floors as it has beautiful red oak.

The original ceilings were sheetrocked but had bubbles and black from the heat. I am wondering what will happen if I clean and spray mud if the bubbles caused by the heat will not come loose. I probably will know more after the drop ceiling is out.

Old 11-09-08, 03:25 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Welcome to the forums florist!

It sounds like the tape is loose and anytime you add more weight [joint compound, even paint] it will stress the bond more and sooner or later it will come completely loose. Also it can be difficult to hide loose tape with texture.

I know it's more time and money now, but it would be best to remove whatever tape is loose, retape [with paper tape] so you don't have to come back time and again to make repairs.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: