Painting an old wood floor

Old 06-13-00, 02:40 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I have a 90+ year old house. Recently removed carpeting from a bedroom, to reveal a nice wood floor. Outer edges were previously painted a dark walnut color, leaving the middle covered in a light stain. There are also many white paint spots on the floor from careless ceiling painting.

Any ideas on how I should go about painting this floor? I am not yet interested in stripping and staining at this point. Right now I just want to paint it to make it somewhat presentable w/o it being too big of a project.

Old 06-13-00, 06:36 PM
Visiting Guest
If the white spots are big scrape them off. Wash floor well, then paint with 2 coats of oil-base (with polyerthane) porch and floor enamel. Brush perimeter then roll middle with a 3/8 soft woven roller (put a pole on it)

Old 06-13-00, 06:56 PM
Visiting Guest
Big Jeff failed to mention a few important steps. Sand the entire floor with 150 sandpaper, remove dust with a shop vac, tack rag remaining dust, wipe down ENTIRE surface with mineral spirits to REMOVE any wax build-up. Brush out entire floor with oil floor paint for the BEST results. It will take longer but it will look better than rolling. GOOD LUCK!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: