Do I need to remove paint first?

Old 06-13-00, 01:01 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I painted my bathroom in a flat paint and now must redo it with a oil-based because of the terrible mold starting to build. I have used bleach solution to keep it from getting too bad but need to repaint. My question is, do I have to remove the old paint before painting with the oil based? If so then what would be the easiest way to go about it?

Old 06-13-00, 01:06 PM
Visiting Guest
I feel real stupid. I guess I need to paint with a latex after the oil primer right? I still need to know if I have to remove the old stuff though.

Old 06-13-00, 06:47 PM
Visiting Guest
Flat is no good for moisture areas. You need to clean off mildew as best you can. then wipe any bleach residue off.To prime I would use Oil-Base Kilz, then go ahead and paint with a semi-gloss (the sheen helps keep mildew away). I have had very good luck with Oil-Base semi-gloss on bathroom walls it seems to last forever. Latex is ok too. The trick to rolling Oil-Base on walls is making sure the roller doesn't shed into the paint.To do this I buy a 3/8 softwoven roller and wrap it in masking tape to pull off loose material then you should be ready to roll. good luck

Old 06-13-00, 06:50 PM
Visiting Guest
PS don't forget to caulk after the paint is dry. Use 100% silicone(make sure area you are caulking is totally clean). Use dripless caulk gun.

Old 06-13-00, 07:02 PM
Visiting Guest
Don't use the felt roller as previously advised. IT WILL STILL SHED INTO THE FINISHED PRODUCT. Use a sponge roller....it takes practice not to get "ropes"...practice on something first, I know you can master it!!!

Old 06-13-00, 07:04 PM
Visiting Guest
DON'T USE 100% silicone .It can't be painted.

Old 06-13-00, 07:08 PM
Visiting Guest
As far as the roller cover goes if you still think the soft woven cover will shed then go to a Mohair much better finish than a cheap foam roller. And notice I said Caulk after the paint was dry. 100% silicone will outlast siliconized/acrylic by about 10 fold

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: