paint a curved line on a wall

Old 01-06-05, 09:28 AM
krishenn
Visiting Guest
paint a curved line on a wall

hi, we would like to paint a curved line on our wall - line starts about 3 feet from the flower, rises up to the ceiling in a gentle curve and stops about 2 feet below the ceiling (ceilings are 11 ft) - is there a technique or tool that can help us paint this curved line as accurately as possible? we're afraid a brush will not create a neat line and it's important that the line be neat. thanks.

Old 01-06-05, 01:15 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Make a template and then trace the template. Is this curve a segment of a circle or more of a french curve?

Old 01-07-05, 07:49 AM
krishenn
Visiting Guest
bob, thanks for the reply. i'm not sure what a french curve is :-) but our walls are 30 ft long and the curved line begins at one end about 3 ft from the floor, climbs gradually all along the wall to meet the other end about 3 ft from the ceiling. the curve is definitely not part of a circle - just a gradually curving line. does that answer your question? thanks.

Old 01-08-05, 06:50 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Here is a little trick I learned sewing believe it or not. I am going to assume your line will curve like it is the "top" of an arc not the bottom. Take a piece of string and tape it with low tack tape to the spot where you want your arc to begin, then tape it to where you want your arc to stop. You can adjust the roundness or droop of your arc by adjusting how much string is in between the tape bits. Once you have a shape you like (this may take a bit of imagination as your arc will be upside down of its final orientation. You could take a digital picture and "flip" it with software to help you here.) take a bunch of pieces of card board (scrap or go buy posterboard) tape them together in such a fashion as to completely cover your arc. Slip the taped together pieces of cardboard behind the string and secure it to the wall with tape. Carefully trace the arc onto the cardboard with a pencil. Remove the cardboard from the wall and, once again carefully, cut out your arc with a razor or sharp scissors. Flip over the bottom piece of your arc, tape it to the wall. Here you could use the cardboard as your painting line or for a really fine edge you could put some low tack masking tape on the wall so that it is under the edge of the template and carefully use a sharp razor to cut the tape without cutting the wall. Peel off the part of your tape line that is waste and paint to the edge of the tape. If you are going to make your line as the "bottom" of an arc, just use the string as a cutting guide for some tape on the wall behind it. I hope this is clear in the reading as it is in the writing. Good Luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: