Painting cabinets

Old 06-20-00, 05:10 AM
Visiting Guest
I have some old kitchen cabinets that were stained and shellac many years ago. I would like to paint them and update the counter tops. I was wondering if Zinsser primer would be adequate instead of sanding.

Old 06-20-00, 04:26 PM
Visiting Guest
I would say yes you can prime the cabinets instead of sanding them, although a little scuffing wouldn't hurt. As far as Zinzer primer i would use "Bin" the alcolhol base one it covers anything and can be sanded very easily. I prefer Kilz which is pretty much the same as "Bin" just cleans up with ordinary paint thinner not Denatured alcohol

Old 06-20-00, 04:34 PM
Visiting Guest
One other thing, some old shellac can de thinned with denatured alcohol(the same base as "Bin"). I'm not sure if this is a plus or a minus. You can test this by rubbing the shellac with denatured alcohol. At any rate i would try the primer in an inconspicuous spot. maybe someone else has some thoughts on this ?

Old 06-24-00, 03:38 PM
Visiting Guest
You can use the Zinsser primers to paint right over shellac or varnish without sanding first. Even their latex based primer (1-2-3 Primer) is designed to adhere to slick surfaces and will work just fine. I would not recommend Kilz because it is not designed to ahere to slick surfaces and might not grip as well. Also, Kilz has a horrible smell and the latex Zinsser products do not. Although you do not need to sand the surfaces first, you will need to clean ALL the grease, food stains and oil from fingers off the cabinets first. This is absolutely necessary to avoid adhesion problems. The only reason you might want to lightly sand (and dust off) the cabinets first is to assure a smoother finish, and you should very lightly sand between coats with a worn sanding sponge.This will eliminate any dust or particles that may have landed on the drying primer. Always dust off the sanding residue before applying the next coat.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: