paint cracks

Old 01-12-05, 09:26 PM
kattgirl
Visiting Guest
paint cracks

A room was painted with flat(GLIDDEN)It was not old paint nor was it mixed paint,but,when the room was painted there are egg shell cracks all over the bedroom .It is a very old house and no,there wasn't any old wall paper glue on the walls,the same paint not mixed was used threw out the whole house and this is the only room that had trouble.When I say all over as I so did before ,I mean over half the bedroom.

Last edited by twelvepole; 01-16-05 at 08:41 PM.
Old 01-13-05, 01:57 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
They were all basic questions necessary to try and diagnose the problem. In your first post, you said:
WHAT DO YOU THINK CAUSED THIS AND WHAT IS A SIMLPE WAY TO REPAIR IT
The cause is uncertain. Is their a simple way to repair it, no. Either you can apply a heavy-bodied primer to try and fill the cracks, or apply another coat of better quality paint that contains a higher solids/volume ratio, or use joint compound to skim float the entire wall surface, and then repime/paint.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by twelvepole; 01-16-05 at 08:42 PM.
Old 01-13-05, 05:45 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yes, my questions were an attempt to diagnose the problem. The questions covered the two most common causes of your problem. My third question was an attempt to narrow the cause in case the answers to the first two were negative. For example, it the cracks were confined to a small area around a window, that would suggest a cause different than cracks scattered throughout.

I understand you want the answer. But the cause could be several things. Since we can't see it first hand, we have to ask questions.

As far as the caps - just trying to be helpful. I participate in forums on other sites. There are some that refuse to answer any post written in all caps. Do we have people like that on this site? Probably. As always, you are free to use all caps if you desire.

Old 01-14-05, 08:51 AM
B
Side note on the use of all caps:

Another moderator informed me that all caps is not to be used on this site.

If you or anyone else uses all caps, the post is subject to being deleted. It will certainly be ignored by many.

All caps is considered shouting on the internet. Shouting is considered to be rude.

Old 01-18-05, 04:51 AM
T
Paint cracking

Interior paint cracking and flaking can be caused by the following:

Use of a lower-quality paint that has inadequate adhesion and flexibility.

Overthinning the paint or spreading it too thin.

Poor surface preparation, especially when the paint is applied to bare wood without priming.

Painting under cool or windy conditions that make latex paint dry too fast.

It may be possible to correct cracking if it is confined to small areas by removing the loose or flaking paint with a scraper or wire brush, sanding to feather the edges, priming any bare spots and repainting.

If the cracking involves large areas or the entire surface, remove all of the paint by scraping and sanding. Then, prime with a quality primer and repaint with a quality latex paint.

The primary causes of paint failures are moisture, inadequate surface prep, the improper application of paints, and weathering (outdoors). Be aware however that most paint failures are related to moisture and/or inadequate surface preparation.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: