What to do about removing old paint (exterior)?

Old 07-28-00, 03:23 PM
Visiting Guest
I have read a lot of messages and recommendations for using a power sprayer to remove peeling paint from wood siding. 3 years ago I had to paint my house in a hurry before FHA would allow me to by my house because of peeling paint. I am sure I didn't do it correctly then, just enough to pass inspection, but now I need to paint the house because I want to sell the house. What I am getting to is this, when I used a power sprayer before it removed a good portion of the peeling paint but left the wood siding in a very rough shape (texture wise). I am leery of using a sprayer again unless I need to spray and then sand the roughness out. Even after the sprayer there was old paint still stuck to the wood that I could not get off with scraping. Will a belt sander take off all the paint or will a little paint left on the siding hurt anything?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-00, 08:58 PM
Visiting Guest
Scrape the wood until there is no loose paint.Spot prime with an oil primer where the raw wood is exposed.Caulk as needed and topcoat.Sell your nicely painted home.