Painting Galvinized Steel

Old 07-06-00, 07:51 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I am looking at new galvanized steel gutters (half-round gutters for a 1920s house.)
The contractor is looking at painting as a separate step, since they usually do aluminum.
They may do the painting, or I may make arrangements of my own. Any hints for painting new gal steel?

Old 07-06-00, 08:09 PM
Visiting Guest
In order to paint- it should tarnish a little. In other words, let the galv. dull down before you paint it. This may take a year or so.

Old 07-07-00, 05:00 PM
Visiting Guest
I think there is a solution you wash the galvanized metal with prior to painting. Ask around.

Old 07-11-00, 07:32 AM
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

try cleaning the surface with Acitone or Taulene either one should remove the coating and then you might want to scuff the surface for the paint to stick after you have scuffed the surface go over it again with either the Acitone or The Taulene to remove any remaining things........good luck

Old 07-11-00, 12:03 PM
Visiting Guest
My galvanizer told me to wash the galvanized pieces with vinegar before painting. Less expensive than Acetone and easier on the lungs, too.

Old 07-25-00, 08:29 AM
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Use a proper metal primer - then you can use LATEX paint on galvanized surfaces. The reason for this is that Latex will expand and contract (with the temperature)!

Old 07-25-00, 09:17 AM
Visiting Guest
Cool

I used vinegar and steel wool to prepare my galvanized mailbox for painting. Seemed to work fine. Good Luck!

Old 08-01-00, 07:19 PM
Visiting Guest
Smile

Thanks for the great responses!
this ListServ has had better advice than the local Home Depot.
I have done a little more research, and all your comments were pretty much on-target. Rustoleum's web site was pretty informative, and their help line was very good and timely answering questions. I also had someone hand me the Paint Handbook text!
In short - vinegar or phosphoric acid will prep the zinc surface of the galvanized steel. Latex paint is the right stuff for using on the steel - oil paint is acidic and can allow corrosion on the surface, under the paint.

So - acid wash, latex primer, latex or oil color coat, but latex is better and will chalk as it wears and will probably wear longer. Latex expands and contracts better than oil as is less likely to chip.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JimPA:
[B]I am looking at new galvanized steel gutters (half-round gutters for a 1920s house.)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: