stripping old wood trim and doors

Old 07-27-00, 01:07 PM
Visiting Guest
I'm moving into an old home that I know has lead paint. One of the first projects I want to do is refinish some of the old interior doors, windows, molding, etc. I know the windows have lead paint, and I assume that under many of the layers of paint there is lead paint on the doors and trim also. I know I should not sand this paint. Is it safe to use chemical strippers to accomplish the task? Any specific kinds? In general, short of replacing the windows, what is the best way to strip the lead paint from them?

Thanks!

Old 08-05-00, 06:24 PM
Visiting Guest
We don't see much lead removal in my area.Most, when faced with the expense of removal back up and paint it.Here are some Lead Removal Links that may help you in your quest for knowledge.

Old 08-08-00, 06:53 PM
Visiting Guest
could try a lightweight spackle to patch rough spots, you can sand, and shape only the spackle. then prime and paint.

Old 08-10-00, 05:26 PM
Visiting Guest
The safest method of handling lead paint is to do it with a chemical stripping product that will always be keeping the paint in a wet or damp state so there is no airborne lead dust. I suggest PEEL AWAY I for doing your project.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: