chalky siding, use Zinzer 123 or oil primer?

Old 08-03-00, 05:54 PM
Visiting Guest
Red face

Even after power washing, one side of our house is extremely chalky. Someone told me Zinzer 123 is for conditions like this....or should I use an oil primer?...help! What would work better?

Old 08-04-00, 05:13 AM
Visiting Guest
You didn't say what kind of surface you had.I will assume wood and /or masonite.Did you just wash with no brushing? It is amazing how much of the chalk will remain even when blasted with 3500psi.If you didn't brush when washing, try it and rinse with a garden hose.Further pressure washing will not help.Lock the surface down with an exterior oil primer.

Old 08-04-00, 02:45 PM
Visiting Guest
Well Mike, I scrubbed the wood siding twice and still have chalk. I feel better about using the oil primer as you suggested. What are your feelings on Zinzer 1 2 3 ? Thanks for the advice!

Old 08-05-00, 11:55 AM
Visiting Guest
Zinsser 123,in my opinion,is not a replacement for an exterior oil primer.It may bond and provide a bonding surface but has no stainkilling properties.I would use it outside over an oil primer as a second or even third coat before the final finish.Buy the best primer and paint and you will have done all you can do.

Old 08-05-00, 01:33 PM
Visiting Guest
Kilz is an oil based, stain killing primer. I use it all the time.

More than a Carpenter
http://www.carpenter.cjb.net

Old 08-05-00, 03:14 PM
Visiting Guest
Mike, another question...what do you think of these interior/exterior primers? Someone once told me Zinzer 1 2 3 gets brittle when used outside. Ever heard of that? Thanks for the advice on the oil primer. I'm using Benjamin Moore alkyd oil primer and MoorGlo top coat.

Old 08-05-00, 06:04 PM
Visiting Guest
I'm not a daily user of Zinsser 123 but I have never seen any kind of failure from what I have used.I think the latex primers are an attempt on the part of paint companies to come up with an alternative to oil based materials before they are forced to by the DEQ and other government tribes.I avoid using them on raw wood due to the fact the wood can turn colors from knots and sap.They have a use inside in that they will bond to just about anything oil or otherwise,high gloss,sanded or not.They are great for priming wallpaper that will not give up and is hung well.I don't know if I said before latex primers do not hold back water,rust,tannin,ink,felt markers,smoke stains or odors.The info on the side of the can will tell you otherwise but don't believe it.

Old 08-05-00, 06:33 PM
Visiting Guest
Thanks for all the helpful info.. Send me the bill.

Old 08-08-00, 06:41 PM
Visiting Guest
You might try some Emulsa-bond. It's an additive for chalky surfaces. It works very well, I use it on all my aluminum siding jobs. It changes the color slightly,, so you need to keep that in mind. It's made by The Flood Co.

Old 08-09-00, 03:43 AM
Visiting Guest
Thanks Big Jeff. How much do you mix to the gallon?

Old 08-09-00, 07:43 PM
Visiting Guest
One gallon of emulsa bond added to 4 gallons of paint. This could save you an entire coat, depending on the circumstances.

[This message has been edited by Big Jeff (edited August 09, 2000).]

Old 08-09-00, 08:43 PM
Visiting Guest
Big Jeff,This sounds good,do you mean you are painting chalky aluminum siding with your mix? I have heard of various bonding materials but have never used any.....

Old 08-10-00, 03:39 PM
Visiting Guest
my secret is out. Yes after a good powerwashing you can paint chalky siding with emulsa-bond added to the paint. You just have to watch out for the slight color change.

Old 08-10-00, 06:01 PM
Visiting Guest
Big Jeff, how bad will it discolor Benjamin Moore MoorGlo Brilliant White? Off white? cream? beige? tan? Your help would be appreciated. Thanks, G

Old 08-12-00, 04:09 PM
Visiting Guest
White doesn't seem to be affected, it seems to be the darker colors that get about a half a shade lighter. The Emulsa-bond is almost white.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: