What to do with wood work?

Old 08-12-00, 07:36 PM
Visiting Guest
I have an old house that was built in 1910. All the wood work is done in stained yellow pine with decorative crown moulding. Pretty beat up. I am considering painting it all if it wasn't for the collonades (which are in good shape). I'm just not sure how it will look. I've seen other houses with painted white wood work but not with my type. I considered refinishing however the plaster is in really really good shape and dread the risk of craking it in the proccess. I guess I just need some one to tell me if it would look fine or "tacky". I only plan on living in this house for another five years.

Old 08-12-00, 09:06 PM
Visiting Guest
I must say that if trim has made it 90 years unpainted I would hate to see it covered up.On the other hand painted trim is what is happening now and would look great I'm sure.Now, there's not much way I'm going to be wrong on this post is there?LOL.Perhaps DIYgirl or someone with some design sense will help here.Glad to have your post here,have you posted at the Decoration and Design forum? A lot of good ideas there..

Old 08-13-00, 03:19 PM
Visiting Guest
That's just it, kithcen and bathroom are allready painted. I guess I'm just worried about the appearance of the collonades. They are the only part of the wood work in good shape(worth saving).

Old 08-13-00, 04:42 PM
Visiting Guest
Wink

I agree with mikejmerritt. I would sure hate to see it painted but then I love old woodwork. As far as decorators and the current vogue I actually heard one on a major TV show say paint it - you can always take the paint back off. My first thought was 'you try to take the paint back off after it has gotten into the pores of the wood'. If you are going to paint make sure it's what you want. Consider the following:

It's your house, you know what the wood looks like now, and what you would be facing if you try to refinish it. It's really your call.

From a design standpoint I've seen the woodwork painted with the columns left with a wood finish. I must admit they were a standout and were a real feature in the room. The easiest way is to paint the trim you feel needs it leaving the columns as they are then see what you think of the look. With rich colors - light to dark shades of burgundy red, black, green in the room for upholstery, rugs, and decor you could have a real stunner and those columns would pop as part of the decor.

Your other option is with the rich traditional colors in your decor you just might decide that nothing needs painting and go for a traditional look which would certainly fit the house as I read your description of it.

How's that for straddling the fence? Sorry about that but decor is such a personal thing. We poor folk get one shot at it and it's no wonder we drive our husband's nuts when we're decorating a house.

Old 08-14-00, 06:59 AM
Visiting Guest
I agree with both of you, I don't want to paint the wood work. I just feel trying to save all of it would be too much work. (dog scrathes, knife gouges, etc.) This was a rental house before we purchased it. I just thought that a few cosmetics and additions, and remodling. We could have a decent return and down payment on our next house which I want to build. I think I'll take your advise Ladybug and probably paint everthing else except the collonades. With a lot of help from mom (the only one I know with "decorating scence"). They are a focal piont when you walk in the front door and want ot keep it that way. Thanks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: