Interior paint peeling

Old 04-09-00, 02:14 PM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

What do I do about interior peeling paint? I know that a latex was applied over an oil or vice-versa. I've sanded and sanded and sanded. Then I sanded some more!!! The entire house is this way. Am I stuck sanding until I'm 100? I would like to paint and do a little with wallpaper and border. Any suggestions? There are no moisture problems in the home.

[This message has been edited by most clueless (edited April 09, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by most clueless (edited April 09, 2000).]

Old 04-10-00, 10:45 PM
Visiting Guest
Sanding would be the slowest way to remove the loose topcoat.Sounds to me like latex over oil.If conditions on your job permit,I have had a lot of luck putting gel paint stipper on with a brush and wiping clean with mieral spirits on a rag.

Old 04-11-00, 01:56 PM
Visiting Guest
Talking

quote:<HR>Originally posted by mikejmerritt:
Sanding would be the slowest way to remove the loose topcoat.Sounds to me like latex over oil.If conditions on your job permit,I have had a lot of luck putting gel paint stipper on with a brush and wiping clean with mieral spirits on a rag.<HR>
THX for the idea Mike...never really thought about something like stripper!! Sounds like a great idea...keep watching and I'll let you know how it turns out!

Old 08-18-00, 06:57 AM
Visiting Guest
Talking

We have success!!!!! My very smart husband took the stripper idea and all the tools that come with it and simplified the whole process. I hope our idea will help others. We just used a very wide paint scraper and the paint started coming off in sheets....we are now almost done with our kitchen....Thanks for the advice!!!!!

Old 08-18-00, 07:44 AM
Visiting Guest
Good to hear from you!I can relate to your problem.Our home was built in the '30s and we are the 3rd owner.The home was nicely maintained through the years,but when on the market the cheapskape realtor had a half baked painter do all the trim to freshen up.Guess what they put over 60 years of fine oil based enamel? Cheap latex.Every door,trim and window sash.As you know ,nothing to to but get it off.Good luck with the rest of your project!!!...Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: