can we paint our linoleum(sp)floor?

Old 08-18-00, 07:11 PM
Visiting Guest
If we remove all the wax build-up, is it possible to paint lino flooring. What paint do we use? It's in the kitchen, so it will be a high traffic area. Also, there is a slight texture to it and it's from the late '50's. Let us know if this makes sense or if we should rip out the old. Now I need to get back to work....thanks!

Old 08-19-00, 07:08 PM
Visiting Guest
This is a question that the professional answer to is no.But....DIY people have more options in that you can be warned and then make your decision.If you wash the floor after cleaning with TSP to dull the finish and prime with a 100% latex primer you will have a primed floor that will hold paint as well as a textured surface that gets traffic could.These primers are sold as KILZ Total One,KILZ 2 and Zinsser 123.I prefer the Zinsser.This primer will dry enough to walk on in an hour but in this case let it cure 7 days.It takes this long for them to fully cure.The next step is where I have a problem with sheen and color.The only thing that will have a chance to hold up is a porch and deck enamel.The colors are sometimes limited if the paint store doesn't have mixing bases and the only sheen offered is often a high gloss.The smell of the P&D will run you out of the house but you should get some good service out of this job.Good luck...Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: