Painting floor in old garage, now bedroom......

Old 08-23-00, 02:37 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

My son's room used to be the garage. The flooring is old berber carpet over the smooth concrete garage floor. We want to pull up the old carpet and paint the concrete floor and nice bright color to match his room. What do I need to do the concrete before I can paint it, other than sweep and wash? What can I use to fill in the nail holes from the tackless stips used to hold down the carpet? Can we just used regular patio/deck paint? Should it be primed first? Thanks!!

Old 08-24-00, 08:48 PM
Visiting Guest
"Normal" perparation for previsouly unpainted concrete generally calls for acid washing with a solution of muriatic acid in water plus a through rinsing afterward. The least amount of preperation is to remove forein materals, laitance, and efflorescence. Laitance is a powdery surface coating. Efflorescence is usually a white deposit of mineral salts that occurs when moisture is present. Both interfer with paint adhesion.

Holes are filled with concrete patch. The problem with doing so is the patches must cure for 30 days or more before painting or you must use the shortcut cut method of mixing the patch materal with a combiation of paint, water, and glue.

Myself, I would use primer and paint of the same brand suited for concrete.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: