Options besides the paint roller...? (quickest way)

Old 08-20-00, 09:43 AM
Visiting Guest
Red face

We have to paint every wall and ceiling in our new house...are there any other options besides the traditional roller? I've heard of rollers that have handles which you fill with paint and squeeze out? Do these work well? What about power spraying? Or is that best left to exterior painting?

Old 08-20-00, 12:37 PM
Visiting Guest
In my opinion,the paint sticks are no faster than using high quality tools.The only time I get my paint stick out is for small hard to reach areas that you can't reach a pan very easily.Spraying is fast, no doubt about it, but.....a few things to consider.Have you any experience spraying? If not I would use no more than a small Wagner handheld.The viscosity(thinning) must be perfect for a good job.Nothing but experience will guide you here.Are the ceilings to be painted and if so are they to be the same color as the walls.If new white on the ceilings and other on the walls you may consider spraying the walls and rolling the ceilings or vice-versa.If walls and ceilings are same color you can save some big time spraying.Now,what about the trim? If it is not to be painted you don't want paint on it.If it is to be painted and is an oil, latex must be kept off of it.Either way this could be a chore.

Old 08-20-00, 05:01 PM
Visiting Guest
Mike is correct. Quality tools and quality paint make the job go as quick as can be. Quality tools hold more paint and let the paint flow to the wall better.

Quality paint flows better and covers better.

Old 08-21-00, 06:57 AM
Visiting Guest
Wink

No I don't have any experience spraying. The ceilings will be white, but none of the walls will be. All trim needs to be painted too (latex)...that's what's really elevating this to a monumental task. What do proffesionals use? Do they roll or spray? (or both) Is spraying ceilings more difficult than spraying walls?

Old 08-21-00, 09:04 AM
Visiting Guest
To be honest,I have to have a lot of painting to do before I think about taking the sprayer out.If I am on a new home of 2000 ft or more I will often spray the ceilings and closets.Anything less than that the prep and cleaning of the sprayer takes as much time as rolling it all out.Another thing about spraying walls for finish coat is they are almost impossible to touch up.This may or may not be a factor for you.I don't like to prime walls with a sprayer,although many do,due to having to thin the the primer so much to spray.Here is a method that I use sometimes for repaints on larger homes that may save you some work.In that the drywall already has whatever on it,I spray the walls a coat of color,closets get wall color on ceilings and walls and are finished except trim,spray the ceilings a coat of white fogging over onto the walls.At this point I roll out the walls.This method assumes 2 coats for walls and since 1 is sprayed thats OK labor wise.Also walls will touch up.If I were you I would consider renting a sprayer that will pull paint from a 5 gallon bucket.These are about $50.00 to 100.00 dollars a day.This will give you 24 hours or so to practice on closets and get the job done.If you prepare well the spraying should be fast and painless.One large tip that will give,if using any paint but flat on walls,if patching is done patches MUST be spot primed with no less than flat paint and better a good 100% acrylic primer.If not,they will show to the point that repainting is possible.

Old 08-21-00, 02:06 PM
Visiting Guest
Talking

Thanks for all the advice. I guess I should have mentioned our "new" house is actually a 100 yr old victorian (1700) sq feet), so all the walls are already painted (mostly white). Main reason I want to do this as efficiently as possible, is that 7 months ago, we painted all 5 rooms in our current apartment. With prepwork and trim painting, work/kids etc. it took almost the entire month and we only have 3 weeks for this and it's twice as much area. I like your idea of renting a sprayer for a day and doing all the ceilings at once. We like to use flat paint for the ceilings and walls, would that work o.k. with a sprayer? What do you mean by thinning the paint? Last time we used Behr paint and I thought it went on pretty good...took only one coat but it's very thick....can a sprayer handle that?

Old 08-21-00, 05:41 PM
Visiting Guest
These large sprayers will spray almost anything.The thinning is done at about 20%+/-with water.To thick and it will spit and do a heavy orange peel.To thin and it will run and sag.This is where the practice I refer to comes in.If you spray ceilings and closets,if you have any,and only roll walls there is a lot of time to be saved.If you have a place to do the doors you could tape the hinges and knobs or remove and spray the doors.They could even be sprayed in place.If it eases your feelings any,a sprayer will paint a 15*15 ceiling or wall once prepped and ready in about a minute if working from the floor.Perhaps 3 to 5 if moving ladders.Get your lights taped or dropped and covered with plastic sacks and all you can do done before the spray day.......Mike

Old 08-21-00, 07:10 PM
Visiting Guest
I don't want to beat this thread to death, so this is the last question...I promise. What about these Wagner power painters you can buy for $70? Are they suitable for interior spraying? How do they compare to the more professional models one can rent? Thanks again for all your advice Mike.

Old 08-22-00, 05:16 AM
Visiting Guest
Blove,You use this thread until you don't need it anymore and I hope of the options we have talked about there are some thoughts that help.Also along this line,later as you work if you have questions or an update dig this thread up by showing topics from 30-60-90 days etc.so others can see what worked for you.
The smaller as well as the large Wagner tools are fine tools.They can't hang with Debilvis,S/Willaims Nova Series at the highest level but for DIY and occasional use do a fine job.I use my $65 quart Wagner all the time.There are spray tips that will let you spray almost anything that will thin and go in the cup.BTW if you go this route I suggest an 11 or 12 tip for latex.For latex trim paint a 9 or 10 and any oils 6-9.These #'s are stamped on the tip and sold at big box stores along with the guns.The trouble I have with the small portable guns is keeping them filled with paint.Most come with a quart cup and I have one with a 1 1/2 quart cup and when wide open will empty in a couple of minutes.I have had no luck using the tube that is supposed to pull paint from a gallon bucket.Also little luck with the flexible tip attachment that lets these tools spray up.Doing ceilings, when cup is a little over half used the pickup tube is out of the paint.Leads to a lot of refilling.Don't get the cheapo Wagner.The refurbished units are fine.They appear to me to be new.If I were buying one today I would find,probably at S/Willaims or big box store,a 1 1/2 quart electronic model if possible.It will be about $100 or a little more.These small guns are great for walls and trim.

Old 08-24-00, 10:20 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

How about spraying the exterior?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: