Exterior Paint Removal

Old 09-01-00, 08:41 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

Several recent responses regarding old paint removal suggest scraping, power washing or chemicals. Is a heat gun a reasonable tool to use to remove several old layers of paint on exterior window sashes & trim? Is it effective? Will it do a thorough job? Is it too time consuming?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-00, 04:59 AM
Visiting Guest
When I do a repaint, I will manually scrape all the loose paint, spot prime, calk where needed and paint.

It depends on how smooth you want them, if you removed all loose paint with a good scraping then you could spot prime, calk and paint. If it is rougher than you prefer, feather in the edges of the existing paint with 100 grit sand paper, prime, calk and paint. I wouldn't go through all the trouble of removing ALL the paint with a heat gun, if the paint is adhered that well then it is ok. Oh, I do also remove all dirt and debri that may be on the house prior to painting also.

Old 09-02-00, 07:35 AM
Visiting Guest
I would suggest you use PEEL AWAY I for stripping old paint from all surfaces. The only time you don not use this product is whn you are looking to keep the wpood natural then use PEEL AWAY 7. Inalmost all instances it will do the job in one application and if yoiu are dealing with lead paint it will be safe to use