Verdigris painting tecnique

Old 09-03-00, 08:06 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

I want to paint an old iron bed that I saw in a decorating magazine to look like verdigris. Can someone tell me what colors to use (it looked like greens in the picture)& how to apply them to make it look like verdigris?

Old 09-04-00, 11:35 AM
Visiting Guest
The base for your job could go in so many directions it would be hard to help without some more input. Websters definition of verdigris is: green deposit on brass or bronze. The green I use for verdigris is Sherwin-Willaims SW1722,Sapling. It is a horrible color but when used for verdi is perfect. When I show people my samples of verdi finishes most seem to end up choosing the same one. It is not a true verdigris in the sense that it looks like aged metal but what you see on planters and many other things in a garden shop. It's the classic green mentioned above over near black that is leaning toward green. There is not a color in the S.W. line up that is this base color but I have them make SW2238,Black Forest and then have them add 2 or 3 ounces of black colorant. I always get these paints made from A-100 or SuperPaint Ext. so they can be used inside or out and are MUCH cheaper than getting the dark colors made from the designer line which is only good inside. The base can be whatever sheen but I always use flat for the verdi green. After base coat is on it is a very simple process to get the patina on. I load a paint brush with the green and work it out on cardboard until the brush is almost dry. At this point lighly going over the surface will leave just the right amount of green. With a little practice you will see what pleases you and then you are ready to DIY....Mike

Old 09-04-00, 11:43 AM
Visiting Guest
I failed to mention that a quart of the verdi green will last forever.....I have had 2 customers pick up materials assuming they would only get a quart of green and came home with gallons.....Mike

Old 09-05-00, 09:26 AM
Visiting Guest
Bluesky,
You could also paint the bed with liquid brass or copper, then apply green patina and allow it to achieve the look you want. To save money your first coat could be brass or copper paint, then use liquid brass or copper for the second coat; patina must be applied while second coat is wet. Liquid copper and patinas are available from A&C
Distributors, 800-995-8385. Also available from www.tripleschemical.com. A&C has a sample kit available with several good sized bottles of liquid metals and various patina colors.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: