mix stain color

Old 09-06-00, 10:12 PM
Visiting Guest
I can't find black wood stain but it was suggested I do it with black paint (oil or acrylic?) and paint thinner. How much paint and thinner should I mix together to get a basic stain-like result without too much experimenting? Could it be half and half or 1 part thinner to 3 parts paint?

Old 09-07-00, 04:32 AM
Visiting Guest
You can find a black stain at this site Minwax. Select Products and Uses,Color Selection,Minwax Wood Finish,Color 2718-Ebony. This is an interior stain....Mike

Old 12-15-08, 06:21 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can you help with a honey brown?

We are re-doing our kitchencabinets with new doors and the contractor has told us he cannot match the current color, which is about 25 years old. I understand that but he DID say he could get close to where it would blend. To date, no luck!

Nobody locally mixes stains so what I need is a medium/dark brown with a yellowish or honey cast. Most stains we can get out of the can, including Minwax, all have a reddish cast on light brown. Fruitwood, in Minwax is a little close, but has too much green and is not dark enough.

Can anyone tell me how to begin to mix stains? The contractor should know but is spinning his wheels. private reply will do,

Thanks.
t. martin

Last edited by marksr; 12-15-08 at 06:29 AM. Reason: removede-mail address
Old 12-15-08, 06:38 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Welcome to the forums T.Martin!

Is there a paint store nearby? not a big box paint dept. Most paint stores are fairly decent at matching stains. They would need a sample of the old [old door/drawer] and some scrap wood the same as the new.

I assume the contractor is more carpenter than painter. Is it feasable to bring a pro painter in to match the stain? Short of these solutions, get several stains in the neighbor hood of the color you need and experiment on scrap wood. You may need to finish up using a tinted poly which can be a little tricky to apply. I usually get the stain as close as I can and then apply clear sealer/poly, sand lightly and then use the appropriate tinted poly to finish getting the color right. Always apply a coat of clear over the tinted to protect it from wear.

I removed your personel info for your protection, plus it's against the rules

Old 12-15-08, 09:08 AM
W
tmartindub

Get a few different stains and start playing with them. If you need something with a little red in it add a little red mahogany, ect... . It is a little trial and air. Use some scrap wood that is of the same type of wood.

Old 12-15-08, 09:39 PM
S
Stain matching is really not difficult to do. I match my stains all the time, I don't have the paint store do it.

The best way to match stain it is to intermix stains to get color you are desiring. Too much tinting with universal tints will make the stain too opaque, so keep that to a minimum.

If Fruitwood is close but
1. Too green
2. Not dark enough

Remove the green by adding red (add a little Red Mahogany). Look at the color wheel, the color directly opposite will neutralize the color opposite of it. (Incidentally, you can remove the red from the browns that are too red - by adding green universal colorant)

Once the green is out, the easiest way to darken the stained wood is to stain it twice allowing it to totally dry between stainings. Another way to darken the stain is to use universal colorants. Most stains are blends of gold, red, brown. The primary colorants you will use in tinting any stain color are: raw sienna, burnt sienna, burnt umber, raw umber and occasionally a drop of lamp black.

Last edited by Slatz; 12-15-08 at 09:55 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: